Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A quiet week for some.

But not for others - yes it's been a quiet week for me but not in the Middle East, - I have been thinking a lot about it and thought that I just had to express my thoughts about the whole thing.

If this offends you - just skip to the next blog - no doubt I'll find something more run of the mill to write about next time.

For me the situation is just crazy, with Israel having found the excuse to use some of its surplus stash of ammunitions, and for the American arms industries to do a bit of business - not that they need it of course.

The losers are clearly the young and older civilian population that used to live in the poorer parts of Beirut and Southern Lebanon.

No doubt you've seen the pictures on the news - there are many more and much more graphic on the numerous web sites and blogs if you are into that sort of thing.

To top it all the rest of the world keeps quiet about it all - letting the fighting take its course which seems to suit the Americans - as the Israelies do the work for the Americans.

Don't get me wrong I oppose terrorism - absolutely - 100%, but this was just not the way to deal with the Hezbolla fighters.

Speculating and looking into the future, the cost of this will be felt for decades to come I am sure - in many ways not just financial, but environmentally, politically and I am convinced it will destabilise the region indefinitely. I am sure there will eventually be a backlash against the Bush administration and indeed I think this will trigger the end for Blair. I hope this is sooner rather than later

What can we do - I hear people say - in fact very few people say anthing - it's just not discussed - I don't recall it cropping up at work at all - I did say something about the invasion to a work colleague and the topic was ignored and quickly changed to something else - I can't remember what - probably the weather.

Well I have written to my MP - I checked his web site - and guess what not a word on the subject - oh yes MPs are now on holiday - I forgot.

I did got a reply - a pretty standard reply on his behalf from his secretary, but I used my democratic right to tell my MP what my views were, and if everybody did the same then I think they would listen and the government would have to condem loudly and clearly the actions of the Israelies.

You may wish to add a comment - feel free to do so.

Normal service will resume shortly

No comments: