Monday, March 17, 2008


Nellie Cawley

Sadly - Nellie passed away on the 5th March 2008, I believe aged 85, though I am not sure.

Through this blog I send my condolences to her children, Joan, Patrick and Eileen, and to her grandchildren Daniel, Geoffrey, Katey and Annie.

I last saw Nellie quite a few years ago, my now ex mother in law was a typical rugged and resolutely Irish woman, in the old traditional sense, small in build but large in stature she was always on the go, hardly ever resting always able to find things to do, and always a cup of tea on the table.

It is with great fondness that I remember her, my lasting memories are when we visited her in her home in Nenagh Co Tipperary, and when she visited us in Hertford, which is about 25 years ago now I think. This picture was taken then on the steps of St Pauls in the City of London.

I was pleased for Joan that she was able to be with her mother during the last few days, I am sure that this will be a great thing for Joan to remember.

I was also very proud that Geoffrey went over to Ireland for the funeral, and I am sure the memory of the traditional Irish funeral and wake will stay with him.

A lovely woman..........................

No comments: